Frequently Asked Questions
1. What type of training is involved in Foundations for Fund Directors?
Foundations for Fund Directors consists of two parts: online and in-person training.
2. What is the difference between the online training and the in-person session?
The online training course is a prerequisite for the in-person session. The online training takes one to two hours to complete and gives a high-level overview of the fund industry and directors’ responsibilities through a series of modules on the following topics:
- guiding principles of fund governance, including a director’s independence and fiduciary responsibility to promote the interests of shareholders;
- a review of two of independent fund directors’ most important responsibilities: the advisory contract renewal process, and oversight of investment management and performance; and
- three select areas of board oversight: fair valuation and liquidity, compliance, and risk management.
After completing the online training, program participants will apply their knowledge during the interactive, in-person session to real-world scenarios and case studies.
3. How do I determine if I am eligible to register?
Registration for this program is open only to directors of ICI member funds. If you are uncertain of your status or the status of your firm’s membership, please contact the ICI Conference Division at 202-326-5968 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
All registrations are subject to approval. If there are any questions regarding your registration, you will be contacted within two business days of submitting your registration.
4. May I participate in just the online training or in-person training only?
No. Foundations for Fund Directors is a single program with two components. One price covers registration for both components. The online training is a prerequisite for the in-person session.
5. How do I access the online training materials?
The online training materials will be accessible through larger-format digital devices, including tablets, laptops, and desktop computers. We will email you detailed instructions when you are eligible to log in.
6. Is there a deadline to register for the program?
No, but space is limited. Anyone who registers after we reach capacity will be placed on a waitlist. We will contact you if space becomes available. If no space becomes available, you will be given priority to register for the next session.
7. Will Foundations for Fund Directors be offered again?
Check back soon for additional details on our 2023 programs.
8. How do I complete my payment with check?
Registration with check payment is available online. For payment, select check as your payment method.
Checks and money orders should be sent to:
Investment Company Institute
PO Box 759456
Baltimore, MD 21275-9456
If you are mailing by an express carrier, please return to:
Investment Company Institute
7175 Columbia Gateway Drive
Columbia, MD 21046
Attn: Lockbox 759456
Check or money order payments are due five days before the start of the conference. If payment is not received before the start of the conference, your registration will be cancelled.
9. Are CPE credits available?
CPE credits are available for the in-person session only. Upon completion of the course, you will earn approximately 10 CPE credits. Please visit the CPE credit page for more information.
10. Is Foundations for Fund Directors open to the media?
No, the training and its events are closed to the media.
11. Whom do I contact if I have additional questions?